Basic Tomato Sauce
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
Basic Tomato Sauce – This versatile tomato sauce can be added to mince for a lasagne, used for pizza or be added to pasta, with or without other inclusions like ham, mushrooms etc.
Gluten free, paleo, vegan, vegetarian.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
- 680g-700g jar of tomato passata
- 1 tsp sugar, more if needed
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 10-12 large fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- 1. Place a heavy bottomed medium sized pot over medium heat with the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook just until softened, about 20-30 seconds. Pour in the tomato passata and add the sugar, a generous pinch of salt and grinding of black pepper.
- 2. Allow to cook until sauce has thickened and reduced by a quarter or half, depending on how think you want the sauce to be. Taste and add more salt, pepper or sugar as needed, then stir in the fresh basil.
- 3. Recipe easily doubled or tripled for a larger batch. Can be refrigerated for 2-3 days. Sauce can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply divide sauce into portions and freeze in sealing freezer bags. Defrost overnight in the fridge, or place frozen sauce in a pot and allow to melt over medium low heat, then increase to medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. To thin out sauce, add a small bit of water until it is the consistency you want.